Wednesday, July 24, 2013

Labour of Love

My brother is getting married soon, and me being ever-so-thoughtful was just going to give him money as a wedding present.  However, I thought it might be nice that he and his wife-to-be could have something tangible and personalised...a memento that they could pass on to future generations.

I decided to make them a blanket in their wedding colours.  I wanted to make them something modern, yet timeless.  Something that wouldn't go out of fashion or look twee or was overly feminine and ruffly.  I've always liked geometric shapes so decided to go with the "tumbling blocks" look.

Tumbling blocks is the quilting term for this pattern.  It's just diamonds sewn together to make squares, which are then sewn together to form a blanket.  The colours used give the appearance of cubes stacked upon one another...it has quite a mesmerising effect when looking down upon it.

So by the time I'd decided upon the pattern and bought the wool, it was almost mid-June, and the wedding is early August.  Here is my progress so far.  I'm on the home stretch with two weeks to go.  Will post another pic once it's finished.  


No comments:

Post a Comment